Sunday, July 26, 2009

deliverance

I am seeking deliverance.

Deliverance from the mundane, the monotonous, the mediocre, the mire.  What I seek is deliverance from my own mind.

In the movie, The Matrix, Morpheus sought to free minds from the grip of the matrix, a false reality.  Jesus seeks to do the same.  He frees us from the constructed realities of our minds and reveals the truth.  But it is difficult for the mind to let go.  Like the Hebrews, sometimes I want to return to Egypt, to bondage.  My mind believes the shackles hold me, but in truth the shackles don’t exist. 

Milton wrote, “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.”

If I can train my mind to see reality instead of the facade then no shackle can hold me, no force can deter me, and nothing can separate me from the love of Christ.  If I can grasp the depth of what it means to have the mind of Christ, then perhaps I can begin to explore what it is to live with strength, vitality, joy, love.

Lofty goals? Or attainable realities?

You decide.

2 comments:

Kathy Guy said...

I can only confirm that you've hit the foundational truth of the counseling belief I hold. Nothing is helpful until we look at reality. It is often so painful or perceivably painful that reality is avoided with amazing moves that would rival a world class gymnast. Ok, and then I realize I could go off into a blog post myself in your comment section. Yes, reality is the objective. Enter it, face it, feel it, and then you'll have the freedom to create a new reality.

Kristin Baker said...

Just read this again. So cool that this is the premise for our entire Easter series this year. Apparantly last summer you had a prophetic vision. Think of the planning and writing we could have done had we known that far out! : ) I need to hang out with you more often, and not just because you might be psychic. Miss reading your writing and hearing your voice. Hope to see you tomorrow night at the meeting!