Thursday, April 24, 2008

love affair

I am entangled in a love affair… with two men.

The first man is one in whom I find the embodiment of everything hopeful and good. He is quick to forgive, loving and trustworthy. His love transforms me. He helps me see truth more clearly. He sees me as so much more than I think I am. He is the most intelligent man I’ve ever known, and he wants to revolutionize the world.

I met this man when my days were darkest, when it seemed all lights had gone out. He was a light to me, shining out of the darkness.

And though he loves me dearly and he assures me he is always there for me, there are times when I can’t seem to find him. I look for his reassuring words and his comforting embrace, but they escape me. There are times when he is all but invisible to me – I cannot look into his eyes, nor can I touch his face or feel his hands in mine.

The second man I am in love with is strong, wise and kind. He was one of the first to reveal the meaning of unconditional love.

He too is quick to forgive, loving and trustworthy. His love is changing me. He sees something special and beautiful in me. We talk and we laugh and we cry. He is my companion, my confidant, my best friend. And though at times we disagree, and even hurt each other, I can always hear his words in my ear and feel his strong arms around me.

So have you guessed who these lovers are?

The first is Jesus, the One who redeemed me, the lover of my soul. He is my Lord and always will be. The second is Thane, my husband. He is also the lover of my soul and we are committed to each other until death parts our ways.

Jesus reveals His love to me personally. And He also reveals His love through my husband. Jesus chooses Thane to be a primary vessel for expressing His unconditional love. But the vessel can choose to give that love, or withhold it. I am thankful that my husband isn’t stingy with his love. He helps me know the love of Christ, and I am better for it.

1 John 4:7-9 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love. By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him.

2 comments:

Miki said...

You have a beautiful way with your words. I love this post. Your light shines so BRIGHT!

Kathy Guy said...

You are a great writer! I want to know more of your story...soon!