Friday, April 18, 2008

death to life

I had come to the end of myself.

If you ever take the road of self and actually make it to the end, you’ll find the hype doesn’t live up to the reality. That road leads nowhere.

It was a pivotal moment, a turning point in my life.

My dream world runs parallel to my spiritual life. A truth became clear in a dream…

I’m young and unwritten, for the most part. My life lies before me. Picture me flying over a highway. I’m feeling the rush of air in my face and feeling the freedom of flight. Next to me is a car. I look inside the car and I see an old woman. She’s driving on this highway, nearing the end of her life, and the sun is shining and the world is passing by outside her vehicle and she doesn’t seem to notice any of it. Then, she turns to look at me. Her eyes are pools of darkness, utterly black. They contain no hint of color, no current of emotion.

She is simply empty. Her physical body is alive, but her soul is dead.

Here’s the truth hidden in this dream: if I continued my journey on the road of self, that old, battered woman was going to be me… physically alive, spiritually dead.

Trying to live life by my own rules was not working. I was drowning in a river of despair, and I knew that no matter how hard I swam I could not pull myself out of it. That despair threatened to ravage my soul.

But I was intercepted. God presented me with a way out. He offered a way from death to life.

So, I exited the road of self and entered a new path, and the journey continues…

John 5:24 Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

2 comments:

Kathy Guy said...

This is brilliant Sarah....I love it!

Anonymous said...

you are such a good writer!!!!

and you know how to spell papper

love you!