Thursday, June 19, 2008

pendulum

Swinging
Back and forth,
Slowly gliding to one extreme
And then the other,
Looking for the center,
Not finding it and
Swinging
Back again.
The steady rhythm of it
Lulling me as
I make the arc again,
Momentum ebbing
I fall back into line
And find myself again
On the other side
Of a weighted circle.
Swinging
Back and forth
Looking for the center,
Where I’ll be perfectly balanced
And swing only a little
Or maybe not at all.

I am a swinging pendulum, trying to steady myself between two extremes.

There is a lot of talk about living in the tension, finding balance. I am trying to do this because it seems like the wisest way to live.

But at present, I am a swinging pendulum.

2 comments:

Kristin Baker said...

I love when writers express my heart in better ways than I can! Sort of like a big exhale I'd been holding in and didn't even know it . . .

Stephanie Thacker said...

I've come back to read this three times now, I love it. I think I'll be back again!